Finally after a long wait, Samsung has started pushing up Android Jelly Bean firmware updates for Samsung Galaxy S Advance users. This phone initially launched with GingerBread firmware didn’t even receive ICS update. The first country to get jellybean android 4.1.2 firmware update is Russia. Firmware updates for other regions like India, UK, US, etc will be released later, but why wait? With our tutorial given here, you can flash your Galaxy S advance phone GT-I9070 with official Android 4.1.2 firmware. So, if you’re like me, impatient and want to get your hands on the goodness of JellyBean, go ahead.
Table of Contents
- Fully charged Galaxy S Advance phone (I9070) – Make sure your phone is fully charged or atleast >60% battery capacity. (This doesn’t work with I9070P)
- USB Data Cable.
- Backup your android phone because after flashing this firmware, we need to factory reset our phone.
- Risk: Sometimes things may go wrong, so proceed at your own risk..
How to update Galaxy S Advance with Official Android 4.1.2 JellyBean Firmware
- Download XXLPY JellyBean firmware for Galaxy S Advance from here (resume, download manager-supported mirror link), Update 2: Official Indian Jelly Bean firmware for Galaxy S Advance has also been released, download it from here or here.
- Download ODIN for Samsung Galaxy S Advance from here.
- Extract the downloaded files in step 1 and 2.
- Turn off your phone.
- Now press volume down key+ home key + power button together simultaneously for few seconds until you get haptic feedback from your phone i.e. until your phone vibrates to enter download mode. Now press volume up key to confirm that you want to proceed ahead when asked to do so on the screen.
- Launch ODIN program on your computer. Make sure Samsung Kies program is not running on your computer at that time. If it is, just close Kies.
- Connect Galaxy S advance phone with usb data cable to your comuter.
- In ODIN program, you’ll see a box colored with com number indicated. In the log section of ODIN program, it’ll display Added message. This indicates that your phone is successfully detected by ODIN program.
- Click on PDA button and browse to the firmware extracted folder and select the firmware file.
- Hit on Start Button. You’ll see the download progress bar moving on your phone. Wait for sometime. Since this is major release, you might have to wait a little longer.
- After flashing everything, ODIN will reboot your phone automatically and display PASS message in its box.
- Done. When phone starts again, it’ll take time to start. It’ll display that Android is upgrading and optimizing apps.
- You’ll be presented with Set-up wizard where you’ll have to enter certain details, select your language, enter your samsung account details, etc.
- After completing everything, you’ll find that all your previous apps, messages, contacts are intact. Well, don’t be hopeful because you might face several problems like no network connectivity after flashing jelly bean firmware on Galaxy S Advance, or the UI screen very laggy, or excessive RAM usage, etc. To solve such issues and to experience speed Jellybean butter effect, you have to factory reset your phone. So, Switch Off your phone. Press Volume up key + Home button + power key together simultaneously to enter recovery mode. Use volume up/down key to navigate through the options and power key to select/execute a particular option. Select Wipe Cache here. Now select Factory Reset. Now Select Reboot. Galaxy S Advance will reboot in normal mode. After successful start, you’ll be again presented with Set-up wizard. Here, select English language first of all as the defaul will be russian. Now proceed as usual with other details.
- Done! Now enjoy and experience JellyBean on Galaxy S Advance phone in any country. Do tell us what’s new in jellybean for galaxy s advance. We’ve found speed improvement, RAM addition (about 100mb more RAM), Zoom support in Camera, Pop up Play support, Smart Dial feature, Shortcuts on Lockscreen, Nature UX Touchwhiz UI, etc. Unfortunately, Smart Stay feature is not there.