With official Jelly Bean update for galaxy s2 phone, our phone received several new features like popup play, smart stay, smart dial, lockscreen shortcuts, etc, but still features like Multi window, ripple effect on lockscreen, assistive light widgets, etc are not provided on stock jellybean firmware for galaxy s2. Hence, in this tutorial, we’ll see how to add these and several other features to our galaxy s2 phone. We’ll use AllianceMod package for this. AllianceMod package contains several interesting mods from alliance ROM and can be installed on stock official jelly bean xwls8 firmware.
- Galaxy s2 phone running xwls8/xxls8 jelly bean android 4.1.2 firmware. ( Link to update galaxy s2 with jellybean )
- Root access with CWM recovery. (link to root jellybean on galaxy s2 with cwm)
How to install Alliance mods on stock Jelly Bean firmware to get Multi Window, more toggle options, ripple effect, 4 lockscreen shortcuts, call record, and other features on Galaxy s2:
- Download this AllianceMod package from here and copy the downloaded file onto external sd card of your phone.
- Turn off the phone
- Start phone in recovery mode by pressing volume up+home+power keys together
- Choose Install Zip
- Select Choose from SD Card option.
- Select the mod package i.e. AllianceMOD_LS8_V1_AOSPTheme_odexed.zip
- Now after installation, go back and choose Reboot System now option.
- After reboot, you can see the new features.
- Go to phone settings and you’ll see a new option Alliance Control. Go to this option and then under custom settings. Here you can adjust lockscreen settings, UI settings and other General mods. Under Lockscreen settings, you can choose from the lockscreen type, Lockscreen Ink color, Ripple Effect, Lockscreen sound and torch, etc.
- Under UI Mods, you can adjust transparency and colors of status bare, notification panel, toggle buttons and text. You can even enable/disable toggle buttons/widgets.
- Do not use Alliance OTA (over-the-air) update because this may mess up your phone. So DO NOT USE THIS OPTION.
- TO use Multi-Window feature, go to phone settings and then display settings and enable/disable Multi Window. Watch the video above to see how multi-window works on galaxy s2.
- You’ll also see call record option when you make calls.
- You’ll also get torch app, popup browser app, torch widget to activate flashlight with just one tap.
- Several other features, play with options yourself after installing this mod package on your phone.
- When you change colors or certain settings, the change may not be visible instantly. In such case, hold power button and choose restart option and then select Hot boot option. As you can see, you’re getting 4-way reboot option and now you can directly reboot into download mode, recovery mode or just restart your phone.